If there's one question people ask after hearing about red light therapy, it's "can red light therapy hurt your eyes?" And that's a smart question to ask. Before using any medical device, you should inquire about the safety of the product. The last thing you want is to use a product that's meant to help you but really creates more problems.
While you're wondering if it's possible that light therapy hurts my eyes, what you're about to find out is that red light therapy actually aids in healthy eyes and vision.
Can light therapy hurt your eyes?
The short answer: no. With the help of scientific research and technological advancement, red light therapy is a safe and natural treatment option that protects and heals your eyes. In multiple studies, red light and infrared light have been found safe and effective for vision health.
Surprisingly, red light therapy has the ability to treat a wide variety of conditions and disorders, including glaucoma, age-related macular degeneration, and ocular injuries.
Age-related macular degeneration affects around 200 million people worldwide. It's caused by a decrease in ATP production in the eye's cells. In turn, it leads to inflammation and visual decline. At the moment, there is no cure for this eye condition. But how does red light therapy help eye conditions and disorders?
Red light therapy uses the power of light to naturally stimulate the adenosine triphosphate (ATP) within the cell's mitochondria. When the body's cells produce more ATP, the body can regenerate, healing damaged cells and creating new young ones. Rejuvenating the body's cells can heal illnesses and conditions throughout the body, including the eyes.
In 2018, a long-term study followed 33 patients over the course of 5 years. The average age of participants was 67. Those who received red light therapy treatments found:
- No negative side effects: a majority of studies that research red light therapy report no negative side effects.
- Reduction in edema and hemorrhaging: resulting in a decrease in broken blood vessels and distorted vision.
- Increase in visual acuity: increase in vision sharpness.
Other studies have discovered the following:
- Reduced inflammation: vision loss can be caused by ocular inflammation and an increase in oxidative stress. Red light therapy reduces inflammation.
- Heals optic nerve injuries: red light therapy helps restore function in the eyes after injury by regenerating damaged cells and creating new ones.
- Increased cellular energy: red light therapy stimulates ATP within the mitochondria, improving eye function and cell regeneration.
- An effective option for glaucoma treatment: red light therapy protects the cornea and retina, preventing pressure and buildup of fluid.
- Prevents age-related vision loss: improves vision and prevents vision loss in individuals over 50.
So, while you were wondering if red light therapy will hurt your eyes, what you're finding out is that it can actually improve your vision and prevent overall vision decline. With endless studies proving the same thing, red light therapy is an all-in-one natural treatment that's safe for your body and eyes. If you're looking for a non-invasive option to improve your eye health, consider red light therapy.
Luckily, Kaiyan Medical produces MDSAP-certified and FDA-approved light therapy products and devices for your own at-home treatment or even for your patients. We've worked hard to provide solutions for both patients and healthcare practitioners, catering to various needs. Whether you're looking to private label your own light therapy devices or for home use, contact our team, as we would love to help you through your light therapy journey.